Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Voice That Cannot be Silenced

I woke up this morning and was happy to see the sun resting on my window. I brewed myself a cup of coffee, and, having taken my usual five sips and recharging my battery, walked to my computer to learn how the world has progressed since the last time I was conscious of its throb.
I had every reason to feel good, but I did not feel any good. Not at all. This is the reason:

Zimbabwe Declares Cholera Emergency
JOHANNESBURG — The Zimbabwean Health Minister, David Parirenyatwa, has declared the nation’s cholera outbreak a national emergency and appealed for outside help, the state-controlled Herald newspaper reported on Thursday. The epidemic has claimed more than 560 lives. Read on….

The sun is gone. My coffee no longer works. Zimbabwe is a country I had grown to love through my favorite authors, Vera Yvonne, Dambudzo Marechera and others; a country that had the wherewithal to be a shining example to the rest of Africa. Gosh, what am I saying? Isn’t Nigeria another example of what could have gone right?

Now, I hear the perennial voice, whispering somewhere around... what have you done to right the wrong of your people?

No comments: